Wednesday 26 September 2012

Holey or Holy Socks?

'Pray barefoot today, curling the toes and stretching heavenward. Lived with the heart of a child, each day is a whole-body celebration!'
This morning I went to my school to pray over it with our school's Christian leadership group. I'm the prayer and worship coordinator, so I was pumped!!! I arrived at 7:30 and it was very bitter out, but I was so excited to see this community and pray for such beautiful things to take place in our school. I was to close in prayer so I had to wait patiently to say everything on my heart. I remember saying, 'God I can't wait much longer!' A big smile was plastered on my face and my arms high above my head, searching for Him, reaching for Him, I was dancing with Abba more then I was listening to the many other beautiful prayers being spoken. It was such a blessed moment. I heard God answer me, saying, Be patient, I am giving you MANY words to say. I looked at the circle of people, of my brothers and sisters and I fell in love with them, with His people. Then finally it was my turn....
I couldn't stand still, Spirit had taken over and it was wonderful. I said all that he had told me and all that I had learnt and all that I wanted to see and learn and rejoice in as a community. Afterwards, everyone gathered for hot chocolate and timbits. I remember ending our prayer with 'Thank You Abba.'
'The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away.'

This are half of my sock wardrobe
 I started thinking of all my blessings, of all the great things God had provided us with. The first thing that came to my mind was 'socks'! I looked down and saw my fluffy purple and yellow socks that were keeping my feet from freezing off. I thought about poverty, I thought about my suffering brothers and sisters. I thought about Jane and Finch and I thought about His love for ALL of my family. I wanted to love like that. I know at home I have dozens of pairs of socks, knowing that my little sister in Iraq or my older brother in Toronto doesn't. Something in me snapped and I decided that I am not going to wear any socks this winter. not one pair. I took off the socks I was wearing in that moment and was so joyful to look down at my feet afterwards. I want the rest of my family to have this luxury before I do. I don't know where this is going to take me, but I am going there with Jesus, and when we arrive, we'll be barefoot.

'Rather then accumulating stuff for oneself, followers of Jesus abandon everything, trusting in God alone for providence. The disciples start to get it, saying, 'We have left everything to follow You.'



No comments:

Post a Comment