Wednesday 19 September 2012

Broccoli and Cheese

'Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.'
I am usually the best person to be around in the morning, I remember being at camp over this summer and my cabin in the final session would love me, but despise my eager beaverness to wake up and especially wake them up the second the bell went off...
I took that same character trait home with me, ever since I was small I loved the morning time, making pancakes with mum and packing a fruit cup in my lunch bag.....that was so great. But even knowing that in my heart, some days I can't stand having to wake up....or the worst is being awake and not being able to fall back to sleep and then falling asleep and hearing my alarm clock beep in my ear.
Well, that day was today. I was a rock in the morning, I slide off my bed and gathered myself, looked in the mirror and wanted nothing from this day, wishing it was still night. With these feelings in my heart I had a decision to make, to either live out my day as I did my morning or to start fresh and go from this with peace and an open-mind. I wanted to walk forward in the direction God was pulling me to, but it was so hard. And my poor family, they saw that I was having a bad morning. It got so ridiculous, I was getting frustrated with how long it took for my bread to toast! Then my dogs were barking and I had such anger, I wanted to scream at them....because they were barking at a squirrel? What?! Funny to think of it now. I knew this wasn't me, but for some reason I couldn't bring myself past this state of mind.
Finally I gathered my bags and my grandpa got in the car and we headed for the school. Now, my grandpa is NOT like many 83 year old grandfathers out there! He has a unique personality and a determined heart and spirit, and that can drive you crazy sometimes. Like now!!! He was telling me one of his many stories, but one that I have heard five times already this week. I chose to plug my ears with music from my ipod and ignore him. I knew that it wasn't right to do, I just didn't want to hear him, hear anyone....By now this must sound very awful and rude. It was! BUT, then as my songs switched over I heard him ask me what vegetable I wanted with dinner. I quickly said broccoli and he said,
''Okay, so I'll go over to the store after and pick up some cheese, because I know how much you love it on your broccoli.''
My heart sunk....that sourness within me broke and I just felt so loved by him. Not because he was going to 'get' me something, but that he showed that he cared about me and wanted to do this nice extra job in his day for me. It is the unexpected and sometimes weird acts of kindness that surface in your heart a new song. I new love for that person. I slowly unplugged from my music and asked him to tell me a story, any story, and I just looked at him look at the road, him so ecstatic to share with me another story that I had already known off by heart. I realised what a blessing my grandfather is to me. I was so glad that I had that bitterness, because I found another great person to be thankful for. He isn't just there as my chauffeur, someone I knew I loved but now I appreciate now too. So now I ask you, who buys the cheese for your broccoli?

No comments:

Post a Comment