Friday 26 October 2012

Sustain or not sustain, that is the question.

I went to a grocery store a few days ago and my mum and I stocked up on so much stuff! We got 3 cases of pop, 2 loafs of bread, and heaps and heaps of other foods.... I didn't think much about it, it was what to do when you go out to the super market. Look out for sales, stock up on everything, buy WAY more then you really need...ect. But, I started to think....why? I haven't heard any news that the earth was coming to an end and we'd all have to live off of food rations for months at a time! So why then did I find myself picking up two loafs of bread? Is it questioning that God will not provide me with what I need?
When we start to rely way too much on ourselves we may one day ask, "Who is God?" because we'd be depending on ourselves for food and other needs.
' Give me neither poverty, nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?" '  ---proverbs 30:8-9
I feel that when I accumulate so much stuff, I, without thinking about it, am actually doubting that God will provide me with my daily bread. I am trying to remember that followers of Jesus are told to abandon everything. To trust in God alone for providence. So when I am buying way more then I need, I am forgetting to trust God. Now, money and time management come into play and I get that! I understand there is only some many times in a month that can be spent at the super market, and the price of food is peaking. I also know that these are earthly worries, they are doubts and questioning. Knowing Jesus, knowing His Father, knowing His promises, I refuse to worry whether or not I get to the store or not, for God will provide me with my daily bread.
A friend shared with me an example she had related to this. God wants to give us so much. He has a huge pantry with all good things to eat, crunchy peanutbutter especially! But He doesnt just open the doors, telling us to go in and take for ourselves! No! He wants to hand us the crunchy peanutbutter. He wants to give to us our daily bread. God wants to have this connection with His children. He wants to be a part of all aspects of our lives.
So when we allow Jesus to be the giver, when we ask Him for our providence, then we are truly trusting that He will fulfill our daily needs.
Food for thought!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment