Thursday 23 May 2013

I will praise you in this storm

I said good-bye to my sunny days of Spring under the willow tree.
Our first lightning storm of the season erupted and it was incredible. I gathered my bedding and my pock-a-dot pillow and knelt snuggled against my large opened window. I stared at the dark pink sky with intensified eyes. It was going on eleven when the rain came. In sheets and blankets of water. I heard the thunder race across the now orange sky. I heard the rain pelt against my little rooftop. My curiosity kept tempting me to climb on my roof, but logic kicked in and I stayed put. As my arms dangled out my window I saw giant bolts strike the sky and ignite the world. It was going on midnight, but I couldn't pull myself away from the window. I was a little child again. I couldn't stop staring because I was convinced that any second something remarkable would happen. I couldn't miss it. I couldn't! If I looked away, it would happen and I would miss it! I remember when I thought thunder was angels bowling and lightning was simply magic, not just thunder as electricity that vibrates through the air, or lightning being an expansion of rapidly heated air. No, I had a childlike wonder.

When I was little I thought the saying, "fear God," meant fear Him, tremble like He will hurt me! I remember looking at the sky and being scared, wondering if one strike would hit me...if the angels would miss and a bowling ball would fall right on top of me. I do fear God, but not with terror, with praise. Fearing God means having such a reverence (deep respect) for Him that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives.

During the night, when thunder was so loud my house shook, and the light so bright that it could of been day, I praised my feared God, I praised Him in this storm.

Then I woke up on the floor of course.


1 comment:

  1. When I was a child, I was very anxious for lightning.

    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete